2009/02/08

Think about Phelps

Michael Phelps has recently become the flavor of the week.

Apparently, someone took a picture of him smoking weed. Marijuana is prohibited by not only U.S. law, but also by the WADA(World Anti-Doping Agency). But I felt that it was not that big of an issue in the U.S. Going by the few articles I've read, Phelps isn't facing much in the way of condemnation. He merely lost his sponsorship deal with Kellogg. If he were Kitagima, a Japanese gold medalist, his career would be over. He would be black listed in Japanese society. I think American culture and Japanese culture are totally different in this regard. Even though inhaling weed is illegal, it is a common occurrence in the U.S. I've seen on more than one occasion people here who smoke weed. Public judgment is different between countries and each has its own sliding measurement of what's right and what's wrong.

I found a funny sentence about Phelps in New York Times. It was the last line in an article, and it read "The chlorine is good for you." Chlorine is a chemical that is added to pool water. I think the writer just wanted to tell him to practice a lot to win more gold medals.

Personally, I don't care if he smokes weed. But it is breaking the law. I junt want to say it's better not to make a problem because he is a great star in the world. It is not good for his kid funs and problems are media's cup of tea.

0 件のコメント:

 
検索エンジン